Amid the recent COVID-19 situation, the organization committee decided that QONFEST 2020, will be organized on-line. Accepted papers will be published as planned, by September 2020, but no physical meeting/presentations will take place. We plan that the authors will record their talks and discuss them with the conference participants online.
QONFEST 2020 and co-located events will be held virtually during August 31st and September 5th CEST - Central European Summer Time (Daylight Saving Time). The events will be conducted primarily through Zoom and Slack for attendees. In the following we provide the necessary instructions.
Before QONFEST 2020
- Download Zoom and test it in your device by joining a Zoom meeting.
- Follow the invitation to join QONFEST 2020 Slack workspace ( we will send an invitation email to each attendee) and add yourself to the channels you are interested in. Use the same email used for registration and use your real name.
- There are channels for papers on main conferences' tracks, each of the co-located events such as workshops, tutorials, awards' ceremonies.
- Check the QONFEST main event program to find the schedule (time and the ZOOM room) of the events you want to attend.
- Check out the 1-minute teaser videos of CONCUR, FMICS, FORMATS, QEST accepted papers on our Youtube Channel.
During QONFEST 2020
- Monitor the Slack channel for announcements, and post questions during the talks. For the main conference, there will be a thread per paper in the related session channel for questions and discussions.
- Start conversations with other attendees on Slack, and meet with our Platinum sponsor Interchain Foundation.
- Watch the 1-minute teaser videos for the talks scheduled for the day (links to these videos will be made available in the online program).
- Join Zoom meetings for the sessions (links available in the online program by clicking the ZOOM URL for each session). We will send to each registered attendee a password via email. When you join the ZOOM room your name must be clearly specified.
Instructions for the Speakers
- Please provide your pre-recorded talk and teaser according to the deadline you have received from the PC chairs of your conference.
- Suggestions on how to record your video can be found in this video and in these slides.
- Join your session 15 minutes before it starts, and work with the session chair to test your microphone and camera.
- Attend your session to answer questions posed by the session chair during the Q&A for your talk.
- When you are not speaking, please keep the microphone muted and camera turned off (to save the bandwidth)
- Monitor the Slack thread for your paper in session channel related to your talk and answer questions during the conference or beyond.
Instructions for the Session Chairs
Before the day of the conference
- Download the pre-recorded talk videos and speaker information for the papers in your session as a backup (e.g., in case the student volunteer host is unable to play the videos). Links to these videos and speaker information will be sent to you via email.
- Reach out to your speakers to make sure that they are present in your session for Q&A.
- Make sure that you have access to the QONFEST Slack workspace, so you can see the questions asked during your session (we will send a welcome email before the conference).
During the day of the conference
- Join the Zoom meeting 15 minutes before your session starts (using the password sent in the Welcome email), identify yourself as the session chair, and test your camera and microphone.
- Ask the student volunteer to make you the “co-host”. You may want to make the speakers “co-hosts” as well, to allow them stay unmuted, and with camera turned on, ready for the Q&A.
- Mute all other participants and turn their camera off during session, to save network bandwidth.
- When the session is supposed to start, please say a few words about yourself and the session, and then get started.
- Ask the student volunteer host to play the talk video, while you gather questions from the Slack channel, and ask the speaker to answer the questions after the talk.
- Conclude the session according the schedule, and announce the Breakout Zoom session which starts immediately following your session.